A USABILITY ASSESSMENT OF AN EPUB 3.0 BASED EBOOK DEVELOPED FOR ALGORITHMS AND PROGRAMMING COURSE
AbstractThe digital self-learning among students is becoming increasingly popular with the widespread use of mobile devices. In this context, many academic institutions generate digital learning sources for their learners. EBooks offer new opportunities in the matter of the visualization of educational materials, access them from any place at any time. It is inevitable to use interactive eBooks in engineering education as well. This paper presents an eBook for students studying in Information System Engineering. It has been aimed to enhance algorithmic skills of students. Moreover, in this article, we have evaluated the usability of this eBook. The results of research show how the students assessed the interface quality, information quality and overall satisfaction of our eBook. The research was conducted by using a questionnaire method.
Çetin, G., Özkaraca, O., Güvenç, E., and Sakal, M. 2016. The Development of An eBook with Dynamic Content For the Introduction of Algorithms and Programming. Mugla Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 199-203.
Yawei, H., Xueyao, L. 2012. An Analysis on the Dynamic Design of E-books of Digital Information Media in Present China. in 3rd IC on System Science, Engineering Design and Manufacturing Informatization.
Daş, A., Yıldırım, G., Bölen, M. C. and Çeliker, O. 2013. Etkileşimli E-Kitapların Tasarım Aşamalarının İncelenmesi ve Tasarım Farklılıklarının Belirlenmesi. in Akademik Bilişim.
Bidarra, J., Natalio, C., and Figueiredo, M. 2014. Designing eBook Interaction for Mobile and Contextual Learning. in IC on Interactive Mobile Communication Technologies and Learning (IMCL).
iBooks Author - Apple [Online]. Available from: http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/
Okuda,S., Emi, K. and Kawachi, Y. 2012. Buillding of an Education System with Electronic Textbooks of the ePub Format and with Smartphones. in the 1st IEEE Global Conference on Consumer Electronics.
Shang, Z., Shi, C.2013. The Sudy of Personalized and Customized E-textbook Bases on EPUB3.0. in IC on Mechatronic Sciences, Electric Engineering and Computer.
Smith, M., Kukulska-Hulme, A. 2012. Building Mobile Learning Capacity in Higher Education: E-books and iPads. in 11th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning.
Oruc, A., Y., Gunduzhan, E. 2003. A visual instruction set architecture and simulation tool for computer engineering education. in 33rd Annual Frontiers in Education.
Aedo, I., Diaz, P., Fernandez, C., Martin, G., M., and Berlanga, A., 2000. Assessing the utility of an interactive electronic book for learning the PASCAL programming language.IEEE Transactions on Education, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 403-413.
Xiaoqing, G., Wu, B., and Xu, X. 2015. Design Development, and learning in e-Textbooks: What we learned and where we are going.Journal of Computers in Education, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 25-41.
Restive, M. T., Chouzal, M. D. F., Almeida, F., G., Mendes, J., and Lopes, A., M. 2009. An innovative e-book on the measurement field. in EUNIS 2009.
Ismail, R., Zainab, A. 2007. Factors Related to E-books Use amongst IT Students. in International Conference on Libraries, Information and Society.
Jou, M., Tennyson, R., D., Wang, J., Huang, S., Y. 2016. A study on the usability of E-books and APP in engineering courses: A case study on mechanical drawing.Computers & Education, Vol 92-93, pp 181-193.
Wang, S., Bai, X. 2016. University Students Awareness, Usage and Attitude Towards E-books: Experience from China.The Journal of Academic Librarianship, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 247-258.
Mulholland, E., Bates, J. 2014. Use of Perceptions of E-books by Academic Staff in Further Education.The Journal of Academic Librarianship, vol. 40, pp. 492-499.
Gueval, J., Tarnow, K. and Kumm, S. 2015. Implementing e-books: Faculty and student experiences.Teaching and Learning in Nursing, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 181-185.
Öngöz, S. 2011. Bir Öğrenme-Öğretme Aracı Olarak Elektronik Kitap. in 5th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium.
Erdinç, O., Lewis,J. R. 2013. Psychometric Evaluation of the T-CSUQ: The Turkish Version of the Computer System Usability Questionnaire.International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 29, pp. 319-326.
Lewis, J., R. 1995. IBM Computer Usability Satisfaction Questionnaires: Psychometric Evaluation and Instructions for Use.International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 7, pp. 57-78.
Authors who publish in this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors hold copyright immediately after publication of their works and retain publishing rights without any restrictions.
- The copyright commencement date complies the publication date of the issue, where the article is included in.
- Authors grant the journal a right of the first publication of the work under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others freely to read, download, copy and print submissions, search content and link to published articles, disseminate their full text and use them for any legitimate non-commercial purposes (i.e. educational or scientific) with the mandatory reference to the article’s authors and initial publication in this journal.
- Original published articles cannot be used by users (exept authors) for commercial purposes or distributed by third-party intermediary organizations for a fee.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) during the editorial process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see this journal’s registered deposit policy at Sherpa/Romeo directory).
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Post-print (post-refereeing manuscript version) and publisher's PDF-version self-archiving is allowed.
- Archiving the pre-print (pre-refereeing manuscript version) not allowed.