FUZZY FORMALIZATION AND AUTOMATION OF THE PROCESS OF SPECIAL ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP DISTRIBUTION IN HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
AbstractThe article deals with the vital task of efficient distribution of the scholarship fund during the formation of the budgetary policy at higher educational institutions of Ukraine. The practice of distribution of the scholarship fund of higher educational institutions is analyzed, the existing forms of awarding scholarships to Ukraine’s university students are described. The necessity of taking into account students’ educational and extracurricular achievements, as well as motivational educational factors, during assignment of scholarships was determined, while providing desubjectization of the process of awarding scholarships itself. An idea of the peculiarities of the scholarship fund distribution is represented on the example of the Donbass State Engineering Academy (DSEA). The process of making decisions on the appointment of special scholarships under the conditions of ambiguity of qualitative and quantitative evaluation criteria is considered. The formalization of the distribution process of academic scholarships using the fuzzy sets theory is given. Scholarships are presented in the form of alternative situations, each of which has its own rating value of a potential candidate for a scholarship. The factors influencing the choice of the candidate include academic progress, results of public and scientific activities. The linguistic variables defined on the five-level term-set are determined for each given factor. Trapezoidal membership functions are used for describing the linguistic variables. The results of approbation of the proposed methodology are represented on the example of Intelligent decision support systems department of the DSEA. The fuzzy classification of factors and the folding of the classification levels obtained into the general rating assessment of the candidates as an average weighted for all the indicators involved in the assessment and for all qualitative levels of these indicators were made. The list of candidates for receiving of scholarships according to the procedure proposed by the authors was formed as an example for the Intelligent decision support systems department of the DSEA. The machine-assisted realization of the methodology of special academic scholarships distribution was carried out in the form of a software modulus of the department web-system.
I.A. Mamaieva, and Yu.F. Lachuga. "Educational activity assessment in module-and-rating system", Vestnik of the FSEI of HPE MSAU, № 4, 2011 (in Russian).
V.Y. Dolhova, and V.A. Tkachenko. Motivation of professional activity of students: Monograph. Chelyabinsk, Russia: Cicero CJSC, 2011 (in Russian).
N.M. Kompanets. "Motives for studying and managing student-engineer motivation", Modern informational technologies and innovative methods in professional training: methodology, theory, experience, problems. Issue 43, 2015 (in Ukrainian).
T.V. Habai. Educational activity and its tools. Moscow, Russia: Publishing house MSU, 1988 (in Russian).
P.S. Seleznev, and S.S. Zhuk. Social Project Management: Monograph. Moscow, Russia: Prospekt, 2016 (in Russian).
H.F. Khoruzhyi. European Higher Education Policy: Monograph. Poltava, Ukraine: Dyvosvit, 2016 (in Ukrainian).
V.P. Bekh. Education Management. Kiev, Ukraine: Publishing house of National Pedagogical Dragomanov University, 2013 (in Ukrainian).
The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. 2018, January. 28. Decree No. 150, On the establishment of an academic scholarship named after Taras Bilchuk. [online]. Available: http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/150-2018-%D0%BF. (in Ukrainian).
The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. 2017, November, 15. Decree from No. 896, On the establishment of academic scholarships named after the Heroes of Heaven Hundreds. [Online]. Available: http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/896-2017-%D0%BF. (in Ukrainian).
Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. 2018, January, 28. Decree No. 133, On the Establishment of Academic Fellowships for the Name of Officials of the First Ukrainian Government. [Online]. Available: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/133-2018-%D0%BF. (in Ukrainian).
Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. 1994, October, 28. Decree No. 744, On Approval of the Provision on the Procedure for the Appointment of Academic Scholarships of the President of Ukraine to Students of Higher Educational Institutions and Postgraduate Students. [online]. Available: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/744-94-%D0%BF. (in Ukrainian).
Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. 2001, August, 9. Decree No. 980, On the Establishment of a Academic Scholarship to the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine for Students of Higher Educational Institutions and Postgraduate Students. [online]. Available: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/980-2001-%D0%BF. (in Ukrainian).
I. Malyi, and other. Anti-crisis management of the national economy: Monograph. Kiev, Ukraine: KNEU, 2017 (in Ukrainian).
N. M. Ganem, and M. Manasse. "The Relationship between Scholarships and Student Success: An Art and Design Case Study", Education Research International: Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Vol. 2011 (in English).
T. J. Bartik, B. Hershbein, and M. Lachowska. "The Merits of Universal Scholarships: Benefit-Cost Evidence from the Kalamazoo Promise", Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis. Vol. 7, Issue 3, 2016 (in English).
Di Huang, Yu Gu, Hans Wang, Zhiyuan Liu, and Jun Chen. "An Incentive Dynamic Programming Method for the Optimization of Scholarship Assignment", Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, Vol. 2018 (in English).
H. Dhika. "Development of Model for Providing Feasible Scholarship", CommIT (Communication & Information Technology) Journal, Vol. 10, no. 1, 2016 (in English).
Academic Council of the DDMA. 2017, June, 29. Protocol No. 10, Rules for Appointment and Payment of Scholarships at the Donbas State Machine-Building Academy. [online]. Available: http://www.dgma.donetsk.ua/stipendiya.html. (in Ukrainian).
Academic Council of the DDMA. 2017, June, 29. Protocol No. 10, Procedure for Formation of the Student's Ranking and Calculating a Scholarship Fund for the Appointment of a Scholarship at the Donbas State Engineerng Academy. [online]. Available: http://www.dgma.donetsk.ua/stipendiya.html. (in Ukrainian).
A. O. Nedosekin. "Methodological Foundation of Financial Activity Modeling with the Use of Fuzzy Set Descriptions", Abstract of Cand. Sci. (Econ.) dissertation, specialty: 08.00.13, St. Petersburg, Russia, 2003. [online]. Available: http://www.mirkin.ru/_docs/doctor005.pdf (in Russian).
Authors who publish in this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors hold copyright immediately after publication of their works and retain publishing rights without any restrictions.
- The copyright commencement date complies the publication date of the issue, where the article is included in.
- Authors grant the journal a right of the first publication of the work under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others freely to read, download, copy and print submissions, search content and link to published articles, disseminate their full text and use them for any legitimate non-commercial purposes (i.e. educational or scientific) with the mandatory reference to the article’s authors and initial publication in this journal.
- Original published articles cannot be used by users (exept authors) for commercial purposes or distributed by third-party intermediary organizations for a fee.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) during the editorial process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see this journal’s registered deposit policy at Sherpa/Romeo directory).
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Post-print (post-refereeing manuscript version) and publisher's PDF-version self-archiving is allowed.
- Archiving the pre-print (pre-refereeing manuscript version) not allowed.